Book a ticket
Careers with Wexford Bus
The most important part of our organisation is our innovative team including our experienced drivers, mechanics, customer service team, health and safety, operations and support team members. Read on for more about the career opportunities with Wexford Bus.
Join our Driving Team?
Wexford Bus is a well established and respected provider of public transport. The most important part of our organisation is our team of well-qualified, well-trained, and motivated drivers. Our drivers are not only essential for operating the service, but they are also responsible for safe and reliable service and are the most visible representatives of the organisation.
We have opportunities for those wishing for a career as a bus and coach driver with an exceptional team of people
As a public transport provider, we operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Applicants will be required to work weekends, early morning, daytime, evening and night shifts.
Applicants must be in possession of a full D category EU Driving license, Driver CPC card (with all relevant driver modules up to date) and Digital Tachograph card. These driving positions will operate out of Wexford or Gorey.
If you think you have what it takes to be a driver with Wexford Bus please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected]
We look forward to hearing from you
A great team
A number of our drivers, like Declan here, have over a million miles on the clock with Wexford Bus and have been with us for over 15 years!
Wexford Bus offers a variety of training and apprenticeship programmes for Coach & Bus drivers and HGV mechanics.
Wexford Bus offer a very competitive benefits and starting package for the team and incremental pay increases based on length of service.
Wexford Bus Driver Training Academy
In anticipation of the massive planned expansion in public transport and Wexford Bus’ own growth plans, Wexford Bus has established a Bus Driver Training Academy for those interested in becoming a bus driver with Wexford Bus or elsewhere.
We are looking for a number of exceptional people to join our trainee bus driver programme . You will receive first class training from our qualified instructors based here in Wexford to achieve your category D driving licence (category for driving bus) with possible employment with Wexford Bus and further development once you have your licence.
Have you got what it takes?
We are looking for candidates that would like a career in our industry, particularly driving buses and coaches. No bus/coach driving experience is necessary.
The most important quality you will need as a Trainee Bus Driver is to be friendly and helpful. You will need to have good communication skills and to enjoy working with people.
To join the trainee programme and go on to apply for your Category D License you must
- be over 21 years and normally reside in Ireland
- be medically fit to drive
- hold a full, valid category B (car or light van) driving licence
- have sat and passed the Category D (bus) Driver Multiple Choice Theory Test, the Category D Case study test and then applied for Category D Learner Permit.
What is involved in the Category D Bus Driver Trainee Programme?
- Prior to commencement, all candidates will undergo a short interview followed by an on-road assessment of your driving in our training vehicle. This will help us determine the aptitude of candidates and establish their current skills level that will help determine the individuals training plan to fully prepare for the practical driving test.
- As a Trainee Bus Driver your initial training will take place with our qualified training team at our Wexford Bus depot in Drinagh, Wexford.
- Training will be in one of our Volvo 9700’s which offers a line-up of advanced driver support systems that are designed to help the professional driver perform even better.
- Your all-inclusive D Category Bus Training (worth approx. €3,000) includes:
- driving assessment.
- driving lessons (2 hours per session) with just you and your qualified instructor on our training vehicle. The number of lessons will depend on each candidates requirements. Lessons will cover regional and national road driving, driving at night and times of reduced visibility, positioning, reacting to hazards, observation, reversing, control of vehicle and progress.
- Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence) Training such as driver daily walk-around check-in training and reporting of vehicle defects.
- modular Driver Training Induction programme that covers topics such as Health and Safety, Driving for Work and Customer Service.
- on day of test, 2 hour warm-up session and use of vehicle for your practical Bus Driving and Walkaround Tests.
How much will this cost you?
Wexford Bus are looking to offer a fully inclusive training package to a number of individuals who want to become a bus driver. Wexford Bus will cover the cost of all the driving lessons, training and provision of the vehicle (approx. value of €3000). The only costs to trainees will be 3rd party costs including
- Category D (bus) Driver Theory Test (cost €72)
- Driver CPC Case Study Test (cost €72)
- Category D license, learner permit (cost €35)
- The driving test (cost €120)
- Driver CPC Walkaround practical test. Normally booked the same time as the Driving test. (cost €32)
The Wexford Bus Training Team
- Qualified Driving Instructors who all have extensive driving experience with us
- Trainers have QQI Level 6 Component Certificate in Training Delivery and Evaluation
- RSA approved CPC Trainers: Wexford Bus is an approved CPC Training centre, all of our classes meet or exceed government and industry standards for bus driver training.
- Wexford Bus is recognised for its Safety-First approach and last year the RSA, HSA and Garda Siochana approved and published our case study on the Driving for Work website.
About Wexford Bus?
Wexford Bus is a respected name in the public transport arena. The most important part of our organisation is our team of well-qualified, well-trained, and motivated drivers. Our drivers are not only essential for operating the service, but they are also responsible for safe and reliable service and are the most visible representatives of the organisation.
How can I apply?
If you are interested in learning to drive a bus and coach and learning more about the Wexford Bus Driver Training Academy please complete our application form and email it to [email protected] or post to Driver Training Academy, Wexford Bus, Rosslare Road, Drinagh, Wexford Y35AR33
We look forward to hearing from you
Awards & Accreditations
- #StrengthInUnity Transport Hero Award 2021
- Coach Operator of the Year 2020 – Commuter
- County Wexford Business Awards Overall Winner 2018
- ISO 9001:2015 certified
- HSA & RSA Driving For Work Case Study
- Best Safety Practice Award 2018